Pages

Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Exclusive Excerpt from Cold Sweat

Cold Sweat
Heart & Endurance, 1
By J. S. Marlo
Romantic Suspense

$2.99
Amazon: https://goo.gl/1Xi3C3
Kobo: https://goo.gl/d7BJBp
Champagne Books: https://goo.gl/bl8eMI

Can they conquer the mountains and the past in time to save Hope?

Excerpt

Heavy breathing jerked her shoulders. She should have welcomed the potential lead in her daughter’s case, not go into a frantic frenzy over the possibility. Stumped by her reaction, Rich stroked her back, relishing the warmth and the feel of her body.

“We can’t rule out a connection, Amelia. The senator has refused to involve other agencies. Now that his daughter isn’t the one at risk, he may stop cooperating altogether, especially if I recruit help from outside my office. You cannot lose it, Amelia. I need your help to find Hope.”

Amelia’s expertise and security clearance exceeded his. The military woman, as distressed as she might be, was still his best ally.

The fan of the fireplace switched off and the humming ceased. An eerie silence enveloped the living room. Amelia stared at him, searching his face for something. Whatever she sought, he desperately wanted to give it to her.

“I haven’t slept in days, Richmond. I’m hovering on the brink of insanity. Under no conditions should I be trusted. In your place, I would tie me to a bed, drug me, and wake me up after you find my daughter.”

As right as she might be, he trusted her more than he trusted himself.

Taking advantage of her vulnerability, he scooped her in his arms.

“Then let’s get you some sleep.”

Amid a gasp of surprise, she clawed at his neck. “What do you think you’re doing, Richmond Morgan?”

“Taking you into my bed.” He carried her through the hallway, nearly dropping her. “Would you stop wriggling?”

“I am not sleeping with you. I am not that insane.”

Of all the qualities she possessed, her indomitable spirit had been the most enduring. From the look in her eyes, that spirit was very much alive. And angry.

“Glad to know I already saved you from the brink of insanity.” The timing couldn’t have been worse, and yet, holding her had never felt so right. “By morning, you’ll be rested and trustworthy.”

“By morning, you’ll be dead if you don’t give up that plan.”

Threats would not stop him. Not this time. “I was going to use my arms to keep you safe and my snoring to scare the night monsters away. If you prefer, I’ll get the duct tape and the drugs.”

As she glared, he bestowed a tender kiss on her parted lips. They quivered in response.

No comments:

Post a Comment