Pages

Saturday, November 21, 2015

Savvy Saturday with DJ Davis and a Special Friend

Courageous Cain and DJ Davis are new to Champagne, and we warmly welcome them to the nut house! Her book is now available on Amazon, Kobo, and at the Champagne Bookstore for any who are interested. Today, DJ has brought one of her characters to tell us a little bit more about the book and to give us a little bit of a behind-the-scenes look. 

Welcome DJ! Why don’t you give us a little introduction to whom we are talking with today and the book he or she is from?

Hello. Allow me to introduce Deputy Gordon Wolfe from “Courageous Cain.” Gordon was born and raised in the village of Rockglen, deep in the mountains of Colorado. It’s an idyllic place, peaceful. But like the mountains themselves, things aren’t always as they appear.

Nice to meet you! I’m sure you are excited about all of your new popularity.

I’m 10-41. Pardon? Oh, that means I’m on duty, but I can spare a few minutes. I’m not wild about all this popularity, but if I’m going to be with Josie Shepherd, I’ll have to learn to manage. Come to think of it, she’s always pulling me into new things. Like dancing. She all but dragged me out on the dance floor. First time I ever danced with anyone and with everyone staring at us. But you know what? I loved it.

Well, why don’t we kick off this interview with a bang? If you had to choose one person to live with you on an abandoned island, who would it be?

My beautiful Josie. But she’s so much more than that. She’s strong and confident. Courageous, really. That’s what she calls the gigantic dog of hers, Courageous Cain. Considering what happened, I’d say she’s every bit as formidable as the dog. That girl doesn’t know the meaning of “quit.”

So yeah, stick me on an island with her any time, but not for the reasons you’d think. Okay, not for only those reasons.

What is your favorite childhood memory?

Family Christmases with everyone gathered around the table. My family, the Wolfe pack, has always given me confidence. And now they’re here for Josie, too, although it’s taken her long enough to accept them. She never had a family of her own. It was always her and her dog against the world. Josie’s now learning that the pack gives the wolf strength and vice versa. Sometimes she’d rather be at the kennel than with my folks, but that’s okay. Our dogs are family, too.

What's the craziest thing you’ve done in the name of love?

Asked Josie to go on a picnic with me. Big deal, right? But for me it was. Scariest thing I’d ever done. No, I’m not joking. It was more difficult than anything I’ve ever faced on the job. I just knew she’d run, or worse, laugh at me. It’s this birthmark and my size, you know? I’ve heard every Frankenstein joke there is. Heard those things all my life, but not from Josie. She came this close to socking Darby, her best friend, in the mouth once when she called me that. Darby’s lucky Josie walked away. Can she throw a punch! Go ask Tucker, the FBI agent. about the time Josie laid him out.

Is there anything you wished would come back into fashion? Why?

Ha! Sure. Wide-brimmed, floppy hats. Big sunglasses. Bandanas. Something, anything, to cover up this side of my face. We get plenty of beauty and beast jokes now, but they don’t bother Josie. She slams it right back and with that mouth of hers…well, once you get to know her, you’ll understand. Josie speaks her mind and if you don’t like it, that’s just tough.

Last question, we promise. What three things do you think of the most each day?

Can’t you guess? I’ve been talking about it this whole time. Josie, of course. She’s everything to me. Also my job. Rockglen is a quiet town and the “Kennel Killer” nearly tore it apart. I still think about him every day. Can’t get the case out of my head. Those poor women. I dream about it sometimes, how they were so horribly mutilated. I remember how I lost Josie. If it wasn’t for Cain and his loyalty to her⎯but you didn’t come here to hear about that. I think about my future. This is a good town, with good people, and I want to keep it that way. I’m running for Sheriff next year.

Thank you both so very much for being here today, we know your fans appreciate your time.

Thank you for having us. Look at that, Deputy Wolfe is back to work already. You’ll have to pardon him, he’s in a rush to get home. Josie and the rest of the Wolfe pack are waiting for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment