Pages

Saturday, October 6, 2012

SOMETHING STRANGE... by Marc Davies

"Ever seen something you can't explain?

Well I think I may finally have an explanation for my mysterious event.

At the front of my house is an empty room.  It has a large window with plenty of natural light, a high ceiling and floor boards.

The house was built in 1930.  Ever since I moved in, I've felt there is something strange about that room.  At first it was left empty because the space was surplus to my requirements, and I didn't want to spend the money furnishing it.  The space was dusty and full of echoes because it was never used.  Whenever I went in there, I would feel really uncomfortable.  Now don't get me wrong, I'm a complete reductionist and don't believe in anything supernatural, but something about that room--in fact, a particular corner of that room--gave me the creeps.

After about 3 months of moving in, I decided to do something with it by making it into a formal reception room.  I filled it with furniture, bit by bit, and with each piece that went in there, the mood seemed to improve.  Now I've filled empty rooms before, so I know how filling an empty space can improve the acoustics, smell and appearance, thus having a psychological effect, but this felt different.  I can't explain it.

Over time I gradually came to peace with the room, even grew to like it.  It seemed to love being lived in.  Then about 12 months ago (for reasons I won't go into) I had to clear out the furniture and return it to its original, empty state.

Wham.  Back to square one, with the creepy feeling in the corner.

I've been living alone since then.  Like I said, I don't believe in the supernatural, and I try to be totally rational about these things, but not matter how hard I tried, this room kept giving me the creeps, mainly at night (no surprises there).  I dealt with it by keeping the door closed and generally avoiding it (I didn't need the space).  Eventually I kind of forgot that it was there because I had excluded it from my day to day life.  But every now and again something would happen that I couldn't explain.  Here's some examples of the weirdness:

-Several people have commented how the room makes them feel uncomfortable as soon as they walk into it (without any prior prompting from me).

-I've had three dogs in the room over various stages, all of whom have reacted strangely.  Back when it was filled with furniture, Rupert (my Golden Retriever) and Matilda (my Labrador ) would sometimes go into a frenzy without prior notice, sniffing around the room like they've caught the scent of something.  There was nothing there, of coruse, but that didn't stop them.

-A couple of days ago, a guest brought over his dog, Mika (another Lab).  They had to walk past the room when they were leaving.  The door was closed, but as soon as she walked past, Mika stuck her nose to the gap under the door and started sniffing like crazy.  On a hunch I opened to door to let her inside.  The room is now partially filled with a glass dining table, but it still has a lot of echoes.  Anyway, once the door was open, Mika stuck her head inside and immediately got really scared and started backing out with her tail between her legs.  We tried to entice her inside, but she would only take a couple of steps before fleeing back into the corridor.  Now, if you knew Mika, you'd know that is really strange behaviour for her.  She's normally curious to the point of risking her own health.

-About 30 minutes after Mika left, I thought I'd give it a go with Matilda, my lab.  In we went. At first she was okay, but within 10 seconds she was out the door with her tail between her legs too.  She wasn't as freaked out as Mika, but I've never seen her like that and it was kind of unsettling.

-The same dog, Mika, has stayed over a couple of times, and more than once I've heard her barking at the door to that room in the middle of the night.

-The lights in the room are prone to flichering at odd moments.

There have been some other unusual events which I can't explain, but I won't go into them because I'll sound like a crazy person.

So what's the explanation?  Well, here's my attempt at being rational.  A couple weeks ago I did find some mouse droppings in the room, so I think I might have some furry little friends living with me.  That would explain the scents the dogs are picking up.

In terms of the animals being terrified, I think that could be explained by the echoes because the space is empty and has uncovered floor boards.  Dogs don't like echoes because it messes with their hearing.  The echoes could explain my discomfort too--no one like a space with echoes, it just doesn't feel right.  The dogs could also be picking up on my unease.

As for the flickering lights?  Well, the house is old, so that's probably faulty wiring.

Well, that's my explanation anyway. And I'm sticking to it.

Time to go buy some more furniture."


Marc Davies
www.marcdavies.net

No comments:

Post a Comment